[rescue] Sun 3/60

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 11:56:18 CDT 2001

[ On Thursday, August 16, 2001 at 09:53:28 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun 3/60
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:06:42AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > >   At Digex (back when it was a technical company) it was a rule that we
> > > didn't run anything we didn't have source code for.  So, no unbundled
> > > C compiler for us.
> > I'm assuming you had source for SunOS then, which means you did have the
> > source for the native 'cc' (and probably could have bought source for
> > the SunPro-C too)?
>
> He said "unbundled".  The native "cc" is bundled with the system, and
> you have to have something to bootstrap GCC with...

Oh, OK, yes he did.  But that doesn't explain why the bundled one didn't
meet the "have source code for" requirement, only why the SunPRO-C might
not have been suitable....

> You're really being *very* picky here.  I can think of plenty of other
> things to argue about.. vi? emacs?  *ducking*

*smack*!  :-)

having done a lot of work to benchmark many compilers in several
scenarios it irks me when I can't understand/explain claims that go
contrary to everything I've learned during the process....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>