[rescue] Ultra 10

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 08:03:19 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 08:44:15AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Whoa - you must be off on the math, since the function is watts = volts x
> amps...
>
> >From memory, it was:
>     21A x 3.3v = ~70 watts
>     10A x 12v =~120 watts
>     3A x 5v =~15 watts
>     1A x 12v = ~12 watts (split over +12v and -12v)
>
> I could be off *somewhat* in my recollection, but that puts you in 225 - 250
> Watt PS territory, no where near 1.5KW...
>
> Not quite sure how you got an almost *order of magnatude* off - did you add
> up the amperage and multiply by the *input* voltages?

Err, yeah.  I did 100x15A.  That would explain why I got so far off.  I
used 100 since most PSs I see are marked 100-120, and I assumed that it
was best to use the minimum value.

OK, so most PSs are marked 3A input, so 100x3A=300watts, then the PS can
re-arrange things however it wants, like going to 12 volts and 25
amps?  Is that correct?

Sorry, I really don't know that much about electricity.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/