[rescue] Sun ISDN/IDSL HOWTO? (was Wanted: ISDN equipment)

Neil McNeight rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 01:16:47 CDT 2001

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:31:15AM -0400, Neil McNeight wrote:
> >> From: Brian Hechinger <wonko at arkham.ws>
> >> uhm.  ahhhhhhh.  IDSL and ISDN are not at all the same thing.  you can't hook
> > > an IDSL line into an ISDN device and expect it to work.
> > Crud. I was under the impression that IDSL was just ISDN rebadged with a
> > trendy DSL acronym. It probably is at some level, given the speeds listed
> > and the fact that it's the only thing that'll reach out here.
>
> Uh, bullshit.  IDSL is nothing but ISDN signalling over plain copper pair.
> 144K = 2B (64K + 64K) + the D channel (16K) bonded together.  You can use
> plenty of older ISDN equipment (Cisco 100x, Pipeline 50, Pipeline 75, maybe
> even a Pipe 25) if you have the proper firmware upgrade and the guys on
> the other end know you're using said hardware.  been there, done that.

So, does this mean it is possible to basically run an LX as an IDSL
interface with the NT-1, or does that assume a driver update from Sun? If
not, how do you go about getting the proper firmware upgrade for the
Ascend units? The Lucent site doesn't seem to be too forthcoming about
where to find it.

Speakeasy is running a special rebate which effectively gives you back
the installation charge. If I can eliminate the equipment charge (or, at
least, the $350 equipment charge), then it might be worth a go.

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu