[rescue] Sun ISDN/IDSL HOWTO? (was Wanted: ISDN equipment)

Neil McNeight rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 00:08:07 CDT 2001

> From: Brian Hechinger <wonko at arkham.ws>
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 11:20:12PM -0400, Neil McNeight wrote:
> >
> > the LX just to make it work (if I can justify it working, I get to keep it
> > :)
>
> it'll do whatever you need, no justification needed.  or just ship it to me,
> i'd love to have it. :)

$15 plus shipping on eBay for a "bare" system. Just got mine with no
memory but with a HD and floppy, and they "threw in" a bare IPX (shipped
the wrong lunchbox, and it wasn't worth it to them for me to ship it
back). Their most recent auctions just ended, but they'll be back soon
I'll bet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1262962073
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1263316456

The LX completes my lunchbox collection: IPC (local DNS), 2 IPX (with and
w/o Weitek PowerUp; with Weitek is running as a file server), and Classic
(web server). Plus an IPC and an IPX left over.

> > MediaOne, but the network still seems to be under AT&T control) is
> > blocking port 80 and by their conditions of use they are under no
> > obligation to unblock it.
>
> blah, sounds like a PITA, but what do ya expect with cable? :)

It's what I expected (yes, I did read the COU before I set the server up),
but it is still a sudden PITA. I was hoping for better, but since cable is
beating out DSL for high-speed net access, I guess it's back to the "we
don't care, we don't have to" attitude at AT&T.

> > So, in order to get my servers back online I either:
>
> > 2) Colocate ($80/month at a friends' place)
>
> ugh, that's a little, uhm, pricey? you sure he's a friend? :)

He runs a web hosting/small ISP out of his house. That's UPS power and (I
think) fractional T1 speed. IDSL from speakeasy is $90/month plus
installation and equipment. At least I've got the equipment for
colocation.

> > 3) Sign up for IDSL
>
> what speed options do you have?

144k. That's it.

> DSL is a good option.  IDSL seems to be a little lower on the speed and
> a little higher in the cost area, but it also seems to be available
> where ADSL isn't.

That's where I'm sitting, where ADSL isn't.

> you do know moving is always an option.  i'm tempted to move to baltimore for
> that HDSL sambo was talking about. :)

Not really an option right now (especially not Baltimore), but perhaps
someday soon.

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu