[rescue] Alpha rescue

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 08:49:37 CDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Hatle, Steven J. wrote:

> I picked up an AXP150 ("Jensen") box this week from a local emporium. My
> first Alpha! <grin> I've poked around on the 'Net, and found that OpenBSD is
> not a supported platform, so I guess I'm stuck with some type of Linux. I'm
> not a VMS guy, and don't want to become one.  .  .

Debian (www.debian.org) will do the job nicely, and unlike Solaris & VMS,
you don't need to seperately download half of ftp.gnu.org to get it to do
something useful.

> Can any of the digerati among you answer me a few questions? This is an EISA
> box, and the only thing it was missing was a NIC. What are my chances of
> using one of the 3COM EISA NIC's I have, with the generic .CFG file from
> 3COM. My recollection of EISA is that this should Just Work; any reason I'd
> have to find a specific DEC card?

I've a Friend who has a EISA-Etherlink3.  If you're interested, I'll pass
you on.  He be in Nottingham, UK, depending where you'd need to ship it to.
Though he's on holiday this week.  Q:  a normal ISA card should work?