[rescue] Alpha rescue

Marc ZYNGIER rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 08:38:08 CDT 2001

Steven> Can any of the digerati among you answer me a few questions?
Steven> This is an EISA box, and the only thing it was missing was a
Steven> NIC. What are my chances of using one of the 3COM EISA NIC's I
Steven> have, with the generic .CFG file from 3COM. My recollection of
Steven> EISA is that this should Just Work; any reason I'd have to
Steven> find a specific DEC card?

I have a 3c592 running nicely in an AS1000 (running Linux). Generic
.CFG indeed. The only obvious problem is that you cannot use it from
SRM.

Stay away from TLan EISA NICs (Compaq/TI). The .CFG is x86 specific
(calls a .OVL which is x86 crap), couldn't get it to work.

The Jensen is a very nice machine (I'd REALLY like to have one). Just
give it loads of memory, and be happy ! :-)

        M.
--
Places change, faces change. Life is so very strange.