sunPC cards: was: [rescue] Re: Ultra 10

gonufer rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 02:50:50 CDT 2001

koyote at koyote.cx wrote:
> Speaking if.. Iv'e got a 501-4230 sunpc card in my "want
> to try" pile.
>
> IIRC. this reuires something called WABI, and runs up to win95ish.
>
> Anyone have info/wabi/etc?

Wabi is (was?) a software-only Windows emulator much like Wine, it
can't make use of the processor on the SunPC card.

SunPC, the SBus card, runs the SunPC software and emulates a
more-or-less complete PC.  It would be slow by today's standards
but you have one of the faster ones (133MHz i586?).  It supports
MS-Windows as well but inside a "virtual screen" contained in one
X window.  Wabi made Windows apps feel more like native apps, they
weren't placed in a single X window.

I looked for a copy of SunPC 4.2 for you but can't find one
anywhere.  The SunPCi software is easy to find, though that
doesn't help you.

-greg