[rescue] Ultra 10

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 22:08:10 CDT 2001

So,

A business partner of mine goes to auctions and bids on stuff sight
unseen sometimes. Once in a while he finds a major bonus. Today it was
an Ultra 10. Tonight it's in my basement.

Bunch of questions to follow, obviously.

First, though... I plugged it in and withing ten minutes the power
supply started poping and sparking and I smelled smoke. Unplugged it
immediately of course. I've got the P/S out, and am I wrong, or is this
just a standard ATX P/S? Should I open it up and try to find the problem
or just replace it?

Next, once I'm able to plug it back in...

Specs: 440Mhz, 256 RAM, Creator 3D, Sun PCI "penguin" add-in card
(Pentium coproc?)

There's what looks like a VGA output both on the penguin card and on the
system board, as well as the normal 13w3. I guess I need to ask, can I
use the system vga at the same time as the 13w3? Assuming the penguin is
what I think (a peecee inside the Sun box), do I need a dedicated vga
monitor for it or can I run windows stuff in a window on my Sun desktop?

Next; Is this the sytem someone was asking about converting to SCSI the
other day? I was somewhat dissapointed to learn it's IDE. I'd really
like to use an Adaptec 2930UW2 with a couple of LVD drives if possible.
Otherwise, will that Symbios card work? I have to admit, I was skimming
mail Friday because I'd been down for two days and had over 600 mails to
catch up on...

What kind of RAM does it take? Both the main system and the penguin?
They don't look the same.

I guess that's it for now... I have no doubt there'll be more questions
as I get to use it. Main one I can think of now is how to load an OS
that'll use the penguin. Am I limited to windows, or could it be linux
or OS/2?

Thanks as always..

---sambo