[rescue] IBM RISCSystem/6000 250

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 17:53:34 CDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> Hi, I just picked up a IBM RISCSystem/6000 250 (model 7011 Type 250) from
> the local University. I have found a little info searching Google, but does
> anyone know anything else about this machine or where I can find some info?

Microchannel based system, 66MHz or 80MHz PPC 601.  It was one of the
earliest PowerPC RS/6000's but is still fully supported under AIX.  It's
fairly nice in that it works with normal PS/2 keyboards and mice and can
boot off of non-IBM CDROM drives.  www.ibm.com should still have some
information on them.

You need to use PS/2 style 72-pin SIMMs in it, normal FPM ones won't work.
Ebay is a great source for these on the cheap.

> It seems to boot up, but my Sun GDM-1962B only shows green lines when I fire
> it up. Any ideas?

Sync is off.  By default I think these things put out sync on green.

> I am pretty sure it is, but is this thing worth the $30CAN that I paid for
> it (it came with a HD15 15" monitor)?

I'd say so.  If you want to do anything with AIX it's a great compact
learner box, comparable to a low end SS5 in CPU power.  AIX cost me $50
from www.ibm.com including a bunch of documentation.

By the way, if any IBM-heads want a MCA RS/6000 FDDI card (single attach)
let me know, I don't have a use for mine since I got rid of my last ring.

-James