[rescue] "New" Ultra 30

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 17:42:59 CDT 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> The Ultra 5 uses (relatively) expensive RAM, the Ultra 30 takes (relatively)
> less-expensive SS/20-compatible RAM. The Ultra 30 can take up to 16 DIMMs,
> the Ultra 5 can only take less, but the Ultra 5 can take "denser" DIMMS
> (Max. DIMM size for Ultra 30 is 128 Meg, the Ultra 5 can take up to 256 Meg
> DIMMs).

U5 and U30 RAM seems to be pretty comparable in price from where I stand.
One nice thing about U30 RAM is that you can recycle SS20/etc DIMMs if you
are already a Sun-head.  Memory interleaving also gives a significant
bandwidth increase over the U5.

> The Ultra 30 can take dual UPA framebuffers *and* 4 PCI cards, the Ultra 5
> has no UPA slots and 3 or 4 PCI slots.

Most importantly: the U30 PCI bandwidth is massively greater than the U5.
All 3 U5 PCI slots are 32-bit 33MHz on a single bus (the onboard I/O is on
another 32/33 bus).  3 of the U30 PCI slots are 64-bit/33MHz on one bus,
and the 4th is 64-bit/66MHz on an isolated PCI bus (the first significant
implementation of 64/66 PCI if I'm not mistaken).  A reasonably fast U30
can drive gigabit ethernet fairly well, a U5 doesn't have a prayer.

Add to this: you won't bleed all over a U30 when you take it apart.  The
design from a maintenance perspective is much nicer.  The hard drives
mount on removable brackets and can be swapped in a matter of seconds.
The PCI backplate feels much more solid (but why oh why didn't Sun license
Apple's toolless PCI slots?).

I've had a U30 as my primary desktop system for over a year and I've had
nothing but good things to say about it.  I would much rather have even a
U30/250MHz than a U5/440 (though a U10/440 might give me pause).
Speaking of which, if anyone is upgrading a 250/300MHz U30, sell me your
old CPU.  :)

-James [oh, and you can swap in a U60 mobo if you like as well]