[rescue] "My city had been torn down, replaced by online auctions. Hey, ho , way to go - eBay" (with apologies to Chrissy Hynde...

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 11:44:36 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 11:23:58AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Low prices aren't bad, per se, but many people are so obsessed with getting
> a "deal" that they stop to care about customer service or other
> considerations. Right now, the novelty of bargains is so new, that many of
> us are "intoxicated" - when we sober up, the market will, in my opinion,
> stabilize with prices even lower than today. As stable markets are
> established, which may or may not resemble eBay, the independent reseller
> will be squeezed out.

Customer service is a big part of it.  2-3 years ago, I bought a SS10
base from MCE (Chris Patterson, etc).  I could have gotten it cheaper off
of eBay - but the service made up for the price.  Before I was "happy"
with that base (it had SCSI bus problems, which ended up in the long
run to be the shitty IBM drives I was trying to use), MCE had exchanged
the motherboard THREE times.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford