[rescue] (no subject)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 10 15:04:28 CDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> now, does something like this exist?  has to be self contained (no computer
> needed) as well as IDE attached and looking like a drive.  the TiVo isn't
> the smartest thing in the world i'm guessing, so we'd have to fudge it some
> drive params.

IDE attached?  No.  Many SCSI attached IDE arrays do exist, though
(Chatsworth Systems comes to mind).  Typically these arrays have between 4
and 32 IDE drives and present a SCSI interface to the host.

The most common "issues" are with hot swap and drive failure.  IDE was not
designed to handle these particularly well and you need to stick to one
drive per controller to handle drive death gracefully.

-James