[rescue] (no subject)

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 10 14:54:59 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 03:44:10PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > There are IDE RAID arrays, but they tend to be subpar in the speed
> > department.  High GB/$ though.

as long as they would be able to be as fast as a single disk we win.  don't
need super speed in this case.

> But, you can stripe them together, can't you?  Might not help here though.

should be able to, all depends on the raid hardware.  should help though, as
you don't have to do a lot of calculations for striping like you do with raid
(calculating parity data)  still, as long as it's as fast as a single disk,
that is all we need.

now, does something like this exist?  has to be self contained (no computer
needed) as well as IDE attached and looking like a drive.  the TiVo isn't
the smartest thing in the world i'm guessing, so we'd have to fudge it some
drive params.

thoughs?

-brian