[rescue] Re: sparc 10 hdds

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 23:29:49 CDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, bill pointon wrote:

> group -- my immediate need is for help as to where i can get a couple
> of drive sleds for a sparc 10 that i just won on ebay ---- cost is
> primary factor and

The Sparc 10 didn't use "drive sleds" as such.  All you need to mount a
hard drive are 4 machine screws for the mounting holes, and 4 rubber
washers of the right size to fit into the mounting channels of the SS10
drive bays.  I use smallish rubber grommets.  Thread the screws in until
about 1/4" of each sticks out, then cram the grommets over the screw ends.

There is an official Sun kit but other than looking a trifle nicer, it's
exactly the same as the $0.10 hardware store solution.

You'll want to use 50-pin SCSI 3.5" drives, either half or 1/3 height.
Drives that produce excessive heat (early Seagate 'cudas are a good
example) will have problems in the SS10 case.  Stick to 5400RPM or
late-rev 7200RPM drives.

-James