[rescue] Printing to the 'net

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 11:12:29 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 12:06:24PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > Of course, behind something like a PIX, you can use whatever you
> > want...
> actually no you can't.  the whole point of RFC1918 is that these ip adresses
> are not routable on the public network.  there is zero chance that you will
> accidentally use someone elses IP address.

Behind a PIX, it doesent *matter* what you use - as the only IP 'seen'
by the outside world is the external (e.g., public routable) LAN interface.
Everything else sits NATed behind it.

Of course, if you used a public IP on the "private" side LAN, you could run
into a problem if you tried to get to the "real" host of that IP, but
my point is that you *can* use whatever you want on the 'private' side of
the PIX..  Its against best practices, and I'd never do it, but it *is*
possible..

Bill

--
Bill Bradford