[rescue] Printing to the 'net

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 11:06:24 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:55:53AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved the following
> three blocks of the IP address space for private internets:
>
> Of course, behind something like a PIX, you can use whatever you
> want...

actually no you can't.  the whole point of RFC1918 is that these ip adresses
are not routable on the public network.  there is zero chance that you will
accidentally use someone elses IP address.

as an example.  years ago a friend of mine called me up with an interesting
networking problem.  he could get everywhere except sun.com.  hmmmm, well, we
look at his network, and in the linux howto he had used to pick his private
address they had typoed 192.168.0.0 as 192.18.0.0 and so he was using that.
well, do an nslookup of www.sun.com and before you do, take a WILD guess where
their IP addresses sit.

so don't use whatever you want, use the proper RFC1918 address pools for private
networks.  you will be GLAD you did.

-brian