[rescue] What is a good terminal?

Stephen Dowdy rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 02:00:41 CDT 2001

> Dave McGuire writes:
>   I doubt that.  Peoples' opinions on terminals don't seem to vary all
> that much.
>
>      -Dave

Okay,

For a terminal, i much prefer:

Old 286/386/486 mono/grey/color laptops running DOS kermit on a floppy!
(with a 4 or 6-way switchbox)

The reason(s)?

- I usually get them free from people ("you want that old thing?")
  (it's a lot harder to come by free terminals anymore)
- they fit oh so nice in a 19" rack (who needs numeric keypads?)
- If the battery is still good ... "built-in" UPS!
- Kermit can be configured to do virtually unlimited Scrollback
	(limited by memory)
- Kermit can be configured to perform all sorts of macros/keybinds, etc.
- If laptop has a Hard Drive, you can log to it if you like.

And on the "MMJ" issue.  Unfortunately, that's another good idea gone bad.
One place i worked had dual RJ11 wall-jacks that weren't labeled and no
consistency of which was phone / which was serial.  Needless to say...
"fried serial controllers" all over the place.  MMJ addressed that, but
since noone ever adopted it (but DEC), and since DEC was charging (when
i bought mine in the far distant past), $180 for a damn MMJ crimp-tool
(okay, i got mine for $90 EDU discount, wahoo), i guess it would be
inevitable it be despised now. ( I just take the route of breaking the
lock tab off RJ11/RJ12 cables and duct-taping the sucker to the VT, who's
gonna see it anyway?)

--stephen
--
Stephen Dowdy - Systems Administrator - CS Dept - Univ of Colorado at Boulder
dowdy at cs.colorado.edu  --  http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~dowdy/signature.html