[rescue] several second lag...

P.A.Osborne rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 6 03:39:15 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 12:57:31PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> I didn't say a machine clocked under 200mhz, I said a modern Windows
> machine clocked under 200mhz.  Specifically, my sisters computer (200mmx,
> 64megs of ram (had more but a dimm failed, and haven't replaced it), 4gig
> ultra scsi) has Win98, office 97, AOL 6, IE5, etc.  IE5 is the program
> most likely to have several second keystroke delays.  Word has some delay
> but pretty much always less than 1 sec.

I think your machine is seriously sick.  Until recently at home
I used a 486dx4-100 with 24MB running NT4 and most of the above apps,
it wasnt quick but once an aplication was fully loaded and the machine
stopped swapping then the typing response rate was fine.

Even now at home we have two P200s and they run Word etc just fine and
dandy.

I would be inclined to run a virus checker on that machine.

> > Honestly, what is the slowest system clock/CPU/OS combination you have used?

I did have *many years ago* a Commodore PC-XT clone with a 4.77Mhz 8086,
had that running MSDOS-3 and Windows 2 as well as GEM - that machine is now
long gone.   But I do still have an Apple LC (which I found in a cupboard at
work) - upgraded the memory to 10MB (max) and hard disk to a 120MB disk. Use
it to run a telnet session on at home cos the machine is near silent and
doesn't take up much space.

Paul