[rescue] several second lag...

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 5 15:30:43 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 02:55:33PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 03:55:21PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > OK, so these visa check cards.  Every points that out.  Here is the
> > problem.  With a visa check card, when the money is taken out, it is
> > gone.
>
> Yes, it is called "spending money".

Well, I realize that.  I'd be a lot happier if using it required a
passcode like macs cards do.  I do use my plain mac card quite a bit.

> > It is like someone stealing and forging one of your checks, but
> > easier to do.  So, when someone rips you off (happened to friends already
> > for really large amounts of cash) it is you that eats the loss, not the
> > bank, like with regular credit cards.
>
> Tip: Keep control of your card and dont loan it out, etc.

The friend who had her money stolen from her visa check card, the thief
was an airline employee.

> I've been using a Visa debit/checkcard for 4 years now, and never had
> a problem - and ive used it HUNDREDS of times to buy stuff online.
> Thats why you only deal with reputable merchants.

And what of when those reputable merchents get cracked, as happens all too
often these days?

So, it might just be a somewhat remote chance.  However, if that were to
happen to me, it would mean something like not being able to go to school
this fall (tuition is sitting in my checking account until the school gets
the check cashed which tends to take a few weeks for some reason).

--
Joshua D. Boyd