[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 5 01:39:26 CDT 2001

> > Those RS CoCo owners seem to be rather fanatical.  I
> came across a page
> > describing how to hack in several megs of ram (like 2
> or 4), and PPP
> > implelentations.
> Well, they were.  I don't know how many people hardware
> hacked a 64 except for trying to repair blown power
> supplies (they never liked voltage spikes) but the CoCo
> was a dream to put a soldering iron to.

Still have a coco3. One guy has managed 65k colors on one....

True hacker machines.

There is one 64 hack I recall that called the (faster) cpu of a disk=20
controller. Don't remember details.

> They both had their place but I preferred the CoCo over
> the 64. More reliable. Radio Shack thought of it as a
> toy but for its price and speed, it was darn powerful
> for a toy.  The only reason it died was that Tandy hired
> someone to run their computer division and he came from
> the Wintel world where nothing else existed.  Several
> other non-PC machines were also discontinued at the same
> time.

Yeah, the possibilities that we used to discuss in high school for a=20
coco4 were cool. Could have put in a scsi hard drive controller and 1 me=
g=20
ram and kept the price under $600 with a monitor. In 1988, when pc stuff=
=20
was at least double.

-Christof
(who owns a coco3, an pc1, and a pc2 and is always looking for parts)