[rescue] The attention span of a mainframe...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 10:24:22 CDT 2001

Mainframe OSs (MVS et al) sieze control when you make an I/O request.

Your code never knows it gave up control, it just waits for the I/O
subsystem to return the requested information.

A tightly coded loop without any I/O or System calls would sieze control of
the system - for that reason, MVS and other environments have job time
components in their JCL (Job Contol Language). If your JCL "deck" doesn't
include a time, there is a system-wide default.

It is measured in seconds.

Just FYI,

Ken