[rescue] Mac Appliance

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 21:13:29 CDT 2001

>  Cooperative multitasking is multitasking in which each process must
>decide to give up control of the machine periodically...i.e.,
>user-process-controlled timeslicing.  In preemptive multitasking, the
>OS maintains control of the machine and "gives" each process
>timeslices.

Exactly.  So there's no chance (with coop) of getting interrupted in the
middle of an operating system call, switching to another task, and having
the other task re-enter the operating system.

Personally, I think that's fine for simple (Palm) or dedicated (embedded
project) systems.  I don't think I'd like it one bit on my desktop machine.

newell