[rescue] MacOS X: First Thoughts

Andrew Sydelko rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 09:31:07 CDT 2001

) On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 01:49:26AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
) > > Bill (using Terminal.app and OpenSSH.. and this even has ncftp / wget / etc
) > >  installed by default!)
) > you know you can blow away that OpenSSH crap and install the real ssh.  it
) > works great.
)
) "OpenSSH crap"?  OpenSSH *is* "the real ssh" - it was forked from an older,
) differently-licensed release of the "real" SSH.  I use it on all of my
) UNIX boxes and on my "big server"... Not a single problem so far.

We've been running openssh for Solaris around here for
a few months and the two things we've noticed are that
it causes problems with cron (like if you install a
crontab from an openssh session, cron quits working)
and it causes problems with utmp/wtmp (no logging.)

Other than that it works great under Solaris.

--andy.