[rescue] MacOS X: First Thoughts

gonufer rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 01:11:42 CDT 2001

Bill Bradford wrote:
 >>you know you can blow away that OpenSSH crap and install the real
ssh.  it
 >>works great.
 >>

 > "OpenSSH crap"?  OpenSSH *is* "the real ssh" - it was forked from an
older,
 > differently-licensed release of the "real" SSH.  I use it on all of my
 > UNIX boxes and on my "big server"... Not a single problem so far.

Let's see... in recent releases OpenSSH has managed to:

	- corrupt my utmp/wtmp files preventing me from being able
	  to login to the machine it was running on.
	- started sending SSHv2 messages to SSHv1 clients causing
	  them to choke and die (fix submitted to the maintainers
	  and accepted; bug exists in 2.9p2)
	- had real bugs found by lint that were only recently fixed
	  (routines that are supposed to return a pointer falling off
	  off the end and returning garbage on error conditions, printf
	  statements with the wrong number of arguments for their format
	  format strings, etc.)

I've switched to using it now that Solaris comes with /dev/[u]random
"out of the box" (in the next release) but I keep a close eye on the
changes between releases. The amount of change going into that project
on a continual basis makes it less than stable.  The "portable" version
just pulled in *sweeping* changes from the OpenBSD tree after the 2.9p2
release.  Just when they had a somewhat reasonable release, too.

-greg