[rescue] sleep dep

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 00:47:04 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:10:58PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> Hmm.  That sounds like it might be my problem, getting woken in
> REM.  During the week, I don't get anywhere near the officially needed
> amount of sleep, and when the alarm goes, I kinda have a mixing of dream
> and reality.  But, on weekends, I don't wake up anywhere near a
> dream.  And isn't REM when you dream?

I was diagnosed back in February with OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea),
basically I was completely stopping breathing over 112 times an
hour (my airway would shut off, or my brain would basically just
forget to breathe). My blood oxygen level was getting down to 82% or
so; normal is not under 98%.. This was found out after two years of just
EXTREME exhaustion - even though I could lie and "sleep" for 12
hours - I could fall asleep in the shower before work.  I would sit
and fall asleep while TYPING, even.  I didnt know what to do.

According to the doctor, i wasnt getting ANY REM sleep; I was
never falling asleep 'deep' enough before I would stop breathing
and wake up again.  I never "woke up" enough to be fully conscious,
but it was enough to keep my body from getting rest.  I gained a
LOT of weight due to my metabolism basically *stopping*.

Well, i finally went to the doctor, they did a bunch of tests,
did a sleep study (where I was wired up like a christmas tree)
and then they diagnosed it as OSA.  About a mont later, they
called me in and gave me the solution - a CPAP (Constant
Positive Air Pressure) machine that I have to stay hooked up
to at night.  Basically its a fancy version of a fish tank air
pump (heh), I wear a mask or a "nasal pillows" device, and
it blows air at a certain pressure (determined by a "titration"
procedure during the sleep study).  This pressure is enough to
keep my airway open when I inhale while breathing; giving me plenty
of oxygen, keeping me breathing, and most importantly, STOPPING MY
SNORING that could kill an elephant at 100 yards.  Its a pain,
having to carry this air pump and mask hardware around with me
when I go places that require an overnight stay - but its given me
my life back, and I've lost probably 35 lbs since I got on it.
I also have ENERGY now, to be able to do things - and not just come
home from work at 5 everyday and go straight to bed.

If anybody on here has had consistent exhaustion for a while, trouble
sleeping, and you snore - GET CHECKED FOR SLEEP APNEA.  Not only does
it make you tired, you can *die* from it if severe enough and not
treated.

See http://www.apneanet.org for more information.  if you want to laugh
at what I have to wear every night, see www.cpap.net - and look at the
"Ultra Mirage" and the "Breeze" headgear.

it looks funky, but I prefer the Breeze nasal cushion gear because
its more comfortable, and lets me sleep on my side without having to
continually readjust straps...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford