[rescue] need Mac Upgrade Advice!!!

Phil Brutsche rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 21:29:59 CDT 2001

On 03 Aug 2001 19:38:32 -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > And *then* there's probably no place to put a PCI riser card to be able to
> > use the PCI slots... unless you want to seriously hack up the case.
>
> that sounds like more time and efford on this thing then i care to spend.

That's what I thought.

> unless i could live without the PCI (but i need ethernet, is that only on PCI?)

No, you need PCI for ethernet.  The only way to get it networked would
be to

1) bridge IP over AppleTalk to another Mac (I've heard it can be done)
2) use PPP/SLIP to another system via one of the serial ports

> > It's the same cache module as on a 5400 (and 4400 and ...) and it *looks*
> > like it'll fit in the 5260.
>
> i get the feeling that the 5400 is nothing like the 5260.

Based on the page Joshua found at LowEndMac that's a fair assumption.

Phil
(without PGP for the moment while I try out one of those fancy GUI email
clients)