[rescue] Mac Appliance

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 17:05:42 CDT 2001

On August 3, Sebastian Marius Kirsch wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:49:05PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   The Y/MP-EL runs at 33MHz.
>
> One of my sources (`Cray Museum self-guided tour') speaks of a 6ns cycle
> time for the Y-MP. How does that compute to 33MHz?

  *grumble*

  "Y/MP" refers to an architecture (designed mainly by Steve Chen) not a
computer, though several computers have "Y/MP" designation in their
names.  The Y/MP-EL processor is most definitely clocked at 33MHz.  If
you want me to, I'll go downstairs, pull a board, and
double-check...but I'm quite sure of that number.  I do try to know
something about my machines, my friend.

  I may have omitted a few, but from memory:

  Y/MP, Y/MP-2, Y/MP-2E, Y/MP-4, Y/MP-4E, Y/MP-EL, Y/MP-C90

  Then, several Y/MP architecture machines had the "Y/MP" part dropped
from their names:

  M90, J90, T90

      -Dave

--