[rescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #1783 - 14 msgs

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 14:39:18 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 07:31:01PM +0000, koyote at koyote.cx wrote:
> Further, I think that it would be best done using low power/low heat
> cpus, like strongarm. I could run a 12 cpu strongarm with 2gigs of ram
> and a 1gig disk buffer, slower low power disks, and halve my electrical
> consumption (based on my u170e).

The problem with that system is that strongarms don't do FP.  So, while
rational numbers should be just fine for most things, programs still
expect FP, which is really slow on StrongArms.  Better to build the system
out of low power consuming r3ks, r5ks, or PPCs.  Err, are the r5ks even
SMP capable?  And r3k has problems with SMP and what was it, cache
coherency?  Might leave only low power PPCs.  Still, not bad.

--
Joshua D. Boyd