[rescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #1783 - 14 msgs

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 14:31:01 CDT 2001

> Um, why exactly are two cpus needed? I can do all of this fine on one
> cpu with room to spare. I'm not debating that dual cpus rock, this is =
> dual xeon, but for home use two CPUS are silly from many different
> views. And with most windows games not being multithreaded they become=

> even less attractive.

Not using windows, but using a home computer workstation the "way it was=
=20
meant to be" (ie having gimp, netscrape, emacs, irc, and etc. open all=20
the time) I think a multi processing system would be wonderful- if it wa=
s=20
designed right.

Further, I think that it would be best done using low power/low heat=20
cpus, like strongarm. I could run a 12 cpu strongarm with 2gigs of ram=20
and a 1gig disk buffer, slower low power disks, and halve my electrical =

consumption (based on my u170e).

-Christof