[rescue] Sunblade 100 question

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 14:19:49 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 02:11:00PM -0500, Reagen B . Ward wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:05:11PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
>
> > Mind explaining why it is bad for those activities?
>
> Lack of a central structure store, for one.  Ugly stuff.  I'm quite sure
> that anything that can be done in PHiGS can be done in GL as far as the
> end application is concerned, just a matter of how much ugliness is
> necessary to acheive it.

That just calls for a layered approach.  I'm fairly sure that Phigs does
the same thing, it's just that Phigs provides all the layers rather than
allow you to add your own.  I haven't used figs enough to comment really,
but I know that some of the scene graph layers for GL are really annoying
in cutting me off from powerful underlieing features.

> > > bad for high-quality movie stuff.
> >
> > Is it really?  I'm somewhat under the impression that Inferno and Piranha
> > did their rendering with GL.  Of course, the companies won't say that
> > officially in places that I can find, but it seems I'm not alone in
> > thinking this.
>
> Not familiar with them or what they use, just with my own experiences.
> Of course, I'm not a serious user, just a programmer.

Well, they are effects programs used for things like the Mt. Dew "Bad
Cheetah" commercial (which I think might have actually been done in
Combustion, but still that's the type of work this is used for), and the
falling letter Neo vision effect in the Matrix (you know, where we see the
hallway and bad guys as falling letters).  These are some seriously cool
programs that require some seriously serious hardware (Inferno is only for
Onyxs, Piranha recommends a dual Octane or better, but does support the
O2).

> > But that doesn't help support my claim, because there are
> > also lots of people who think that Toy Story was done with OpenGL.  Bleh.
> > people who seem
>
> HAHAHAHA.  Yeah, the company that owns Renderman is gonna use OpenGL to
> render a movie.  You see these folks on Slashdot or USENET or something?

Err both.  I gotta stop reading /..  There are some smart people on
USENET.  Especially in comp.graphics.rendering.renderman and
comp.graphics.algorithms.  I try to ignore the rest.

--
Joshua D. Boyd