[rescue] your response for cheap colo

Ano Gohel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 13:04:37 CDT 2001

James:

I saw this posting of yours...what ISP have you spoken with that offers
the $100/month hosting you mentioned in your reply?

thanks,

-ano

-----start thread------

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Scott Norwood wrote: > I've noticed a couple of posts
to this list recently from people who > are looking for cheap colocation
service. A friend of mine recently > got a T1 installed at home and he's
looking for a few colo customers to > help defray the expense. I think
that he will be pretty flexible about > pricing and whatnot, particularly
for low-bandwidth users, probably in > the range of $100-150/month or so
for most customers.

Without knowing the particulars this seems a bit on the pricy side. For
$100/mo I can colocate with a large local ISP with multiple redundant
connections to 2 major backbones, UPS and generator backup, environmental
controls and 24x7 physical access with a 10GB/mo traffic cap. If he's
offering a relatively large amount of physical space and many machines per
user, $100-150/mo might be reasonable. Places like Exodus can charge
through the roof for colo fees but that's largely due to their
reputation. -James