[rescue] Mac Appliance

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 09:50:04 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 09:29:53AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   ...because Microsoft (and Intel to a slightly lesser extent) have
> set our industry back by a solid twenty years, that's why.

I think it is more than that.

Probably closer to 30 or more, considering that:

CDC 6600 (designed by Seymour Cray) designed in mid-60's had shared memory,
extensible architecture to 4 or more CPUs - Intel has had a hard time even
designing chipsets that drive 2 CPUs well; and MSFT is slowly figuring out
how to write SMP code...

1986 - NeXT computer - custom ASICs (2) that greatly increase the throughput
of the slow 68030 chip in the machine - why the heck can't Intel do this on
their mobo's and chipset?  Instead, we get WinModems...

Doug Engelbart showed off stuff in what, 1968?  that only now is stuff we
can do with commercial systems, sorta

Hypercard - 1987 - is in many ways easier to use and certainly more elegant
than Whiz-ual Basic, and kids can program HyperCard

Memory protection - invented in the 60s.  Does WinME have it?  Nope.

et cetera...

./patrick