[rescue] Mac Appliance

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 08:40:18 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 09:29:53AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On August 2, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > I agree that most of what people currently do don't really benifit much
> > from a gui (well, maybe a little).  However, I think that computers and
> > their software are no where near as advanced as they should be.  Why are
> > people using computers to file and organize things just like they did
> > before?  Why not find a new way to file things?  A new way to direct
> > workflow?
>
>   ...because Microsoft (and Intel to a slightly lesser extent) have
> set our industry back by a solid twenty years, that's why.

Yeah, I know.  And just try suggesting to someone that they don't need all
the features of Word sometime.

Actually, I was rather pleased the other day.  My girlfriend was
confessing that she rather liked Appleworks on a Mac.  Especially that it
didn't have tons of features that she didn't need that get in her
way.  She hasn't yet quite figured out that I'm not really as hostile to
Macs as most CS majors are (her brother was one for a year, her other
brother is thinking of becoming one, and apparently they really hate
Macs).  She was shocked that I've been considering getting an AV
Quadra.  Hehe.

--
Joshua D. Boyd