[rescue] Mac Appliance

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 13:57:18 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 02:10:41PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> I have a line on a Quadra 660AV, can't really decide if I want it, price may
> be right...
>
> Is this a reasonable/fun machine? 25MHz 68040 w/ spiffy DSP chip for video
> applications...
>
> Thoughts? I'd need to get all the trimmings too (keyboard, video
> monitor/adapter - I think I have RAM, HD covered)...

They are supposed to be fun machines.  Photoshop is pretty fast on it
(apparently the DSP accelerates Photoshop), and you do have video capture,
and there were some cool sound demos written for it.  Programming the DSP
is supposedly made into an extremely difficult task, despite being an easy
DSP to program.

I'm actually looking at getting one of those machines, with many trimmings
(keyboard, mouse, monitor, loads of software, zip drive, external scsi
bays, etc) for $100.  The machine isn't worth that much, but I figure
between the accessories (which I could really use), and the convinience of
getting everything working set up, and ready to go from one place that
maybe I will buy it.  Still haven't decided yet though.  $100 isn't an
insignificant amount of cash to me, and it isn't yet entirely finalized
how much I'll be working in the fall.

--
Joshua D. Boyd