[rescue] web server loadbalancing...

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 13:03:00 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 01:47:04PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> OK, well, I know you are not a wet-behind-the-ears MSCE.  But what exactly
> is the benefit that they want out of it?  Scalability?  Reliability?

They want HA.  basically if one machine should go down, the other should
take over / cover for it.

> if first machine fails for any reason, unplug the first and hook up the
> second.  Boot from external array.  Downtime would be maybe 5 minutes,
> probably less.

I've got both boxes, with internal drives and identical configs.  The
"secondary" box is mirrored off the primary once an hour using ssh+rsync.
However, even the five minutes downtime it would take to add the IP address
of the primary box to the secondary is Not Acceptable...

> Also, check out www.eddieware.org though I have not used it myself.

eddieware.org is down, its eddie.sourceforge.net.  Problem is, it requires
web-server-side stuff to be installed...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net