[rescue] need Mac Upgrade Advice!!!

linc rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 12:23:09 CDT 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> so the guy dropped off the macs today.  fastest ones are the 5260/100 boxes.
> they have ethernet.  that's perfect.  i want to set one of these up for my
> daughter to use.  she like cartoonnetwork.com a LOT.  but this thing is just
> DOG SLOW.  100Mhz 603e, you'd think it would be faster.  but it looks like this
> thing has a CPU upgrade slot.  what sorta CPUs can i get for this thing and how
> free are they?  i don't really want to spend any money on this thing.
>
> thanks!!
>
> -brian

Brian, call me and I'll help ya speed it up a bit..
Basically, he left a zillion drivers on there you don't need that can be
deleted.  You can also increase the physical memory, virtual memory, and
disk cache along with deleting some of the old cruft on the drives..  Sped
mine up considerably.
-Linc

--
  1:11pm  up 31 days,  6:44,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.11