[rescue] Temperature Monitoring?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 07:22:58 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 06:48:32AM -0400, sambo at charm.net wrote:

> There is that, but then the monitor would sit at a funny angle. I've

yeah, i had tha fan thingy on my desktop ss20 (the one with the HyperSPARC)
and i had to turn the case sideways to get a monitor on top.  of course i
put that fan case on another ss20 (the web server) since i moved the surface
of the sun hard-drive into it (mount my home dir via NFS over the FDDI) and
i still have my case turned sideways.  PCMCIA and SBus are a royal PITA.

> decided that I'm using the SS20 as my main desktop machine. The linux
> box is in the corner now. I'm still running apps off of it over X on the
> desktop.

HA!  you're one of me now (i don't need no stinkin' PC!!!!)

> S'a funny thing, just putting my hand on the top of the case of the
> SS20, it feels much hotter over the framebuffer(s) than the hard drives.

the SBus cards generate an amazing amount of heat.  just be glad you don't
have a ZX framebuffer.  thing rivals the VAX 11/750 in heat creationg.

> And with the cover off, I don't even think about touching the heat sinks
> on the processors, but the top hard drive can't be over 150 F. Izzat
> alright, you think?

that doesn't sound too bad.  i think the druve should be fine.  i know that
my surface of the sun runs at that temp or hotter as it's normal operating
operating range.  you'd be surprised.  :)

-brian