[rescue] Re: Ultra 5 RAM question

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 1 11:47:18 CDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Stephen Worotynec wrote:

> Can anyone advise me on how much RAM an Ultra 5 can take? Sun says 512Mb,
> but Crucial claims 1024Mb, as do some ebay sellers with X7033A kits.

I think with some certainty 1024MB is possible (I installed a pair of 256s
in each of a couple dozen PGX8-era and PGX24-era U5s back at Nortel) BUT
the 256MB sticks are too tall to fit under the floppy drive. Take out the
floppy and you're in good shape. Or find third-party low profile dimms. We
put Dataram parts in as I recall.  (disclaimer: my memory may have
occasional parity errors--verify with someone who has the stuff in front
of him, rather than someone who thinks he did it a year or two ago).

> Parts lists I can find seem to indicate the X7033A is for the Ultra 10
> only. (?)

Probably a form factor issue. And an Ultra 10 sales issue.

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows