[rescue] clustered file storage

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 1 00:43:58 CDT 2001

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 7/31/01, 3:02:57 PM, Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com> wrote regarding=
=20
[geeks] Re: [rescue] clustered file storage:

> Josh noted:
> > So, let me see if I foloow you.  One company wants to be able to inc=
rease
> > storage and CPU power to Oracle (or what ever else).  So, they have =

oracle
> > using data stored on a file server instead of locally, and they have=

> > oracle running clustered.  Thus they can add more disks to the file
> > server, or they can drop another box on the network and add it to th=
> > oracle cluster.

> That happens. Big sites will want to build horizontical and vertical
> scability into their environments at as many levels as possible.

Yep- There's another factor in the setup I dealt with. Orthogonal=20
relations of disk and cpu.

> The tradeoffs are the more scalable a setup becomes the more difficult=

> it is to maintain, as there are more "moving parts."=20

Yeah, and the headaches of developing a software "datacenter operating=20
system", so to speak- to run this so that indivudual part failure is no =

big issue...... Challenging is the word.

>                                   [ webserver 1 ]                     =
   =20
             [ $STORAGE ]
> {internet} - [ router w/ ACLs ]   [ webserver 2 ] - - [ dbserver ]=20
[Brocade or Vicom] <
>                |BGP|            X [ webserver 3 ]  X    |OPS?|    X   =
 {=20
SAN }         X
> {internet} - [ router w/ ACLs ]   [ webserver 4 ] - - [ dbserver ]=20
[Brocade or Vicom] <
>                                   [ webserver 5 ]                     =
   =20
             [ $STORAGE ]
> </pre>

> $STORAGE can be Sun T3s, EMC, Hitachi, or combinations thereof.

I might add a couple foundry load balancers into the front end, there.=20
The OS is good and clean and the hardware is wonderful- 8x100mbit and=20
2x1000mbit connections per box.=20

-Christof