[SunRescue] Video format for Extreme graphics and Sun GDM1962B?

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 27 16:40:58 CDT 2001

Hi

On Thursday 26 April 2001 21:15, you wrote:
> Does anyone have a video format for the Extreme Graphics (aka. GR2,
> used in a Indigo^2) that will work with a Sun GDM1962B? Apparently,
> the Sun monitor wants 1280x1024 at 76Hz or 1152x900 at 76Hz, but the
> nearest stock format on the Extreme is 1280x1024 at 72Hz -- not near
> enough. (Sync shouldn't be a problem; as far as I know, the GDM1962B
> should be able to cope with sync on green.)

It's possible that it isn't possible to drive the GR2 at a 76Hz refresh
rate. Have you tried 'xsetmon' to see what choices that has ? (ok
that's a dumb question).

Just looked at the manual page for setmon, and it would seem that
you're out of luck. You could *try* 'setmon 76' or possibly 'setmon
75', but it does say that the Extreme doesn't support more than 72hz.

> I made a quick jab at producing such a format myself, using the vfc

Ouch. I strongly suspect that if the Extreme supports 76hz it would be
possible to set it with setmon, so if that doesn't work I suspect
you're out of luck.