[SunRescue] cost of power, A/C, Information and peer review

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 27 14:12:47 CDT 2001

I had the urge to figure out what it truly costs to run a piece of
equipment, so I thought i'd share it with you all so you can get an idea of
power and AC costs to run some of those old beasts you are
harboring.  Also, wanted to throw it out for peer review, accuracy,
suggestions, etc...  I'm all ears to make it a better or more accurate
analysis.

Please, no applause, just send me your old SS1000's if you cant afford to
run them anymore :).

Gil

---------------- Begin Document -------------

This document is to serve as a tool to help calculate the cost of running
and cooling a piece of equipment.  The formulas used below were gathered
from common knowledge and industry web sites.

There are two primary power draw concerns, one is the AC used to power the
equipment, the second is the AC used to cool the equipment.

First, there is the cost of powering a piece of equipment.  This can be
figured out with the following simple formula:

(Price per KWH/(1000KiloWatts/Watt)) * (Watts/1000)*(unit of time)=cost to
run the equipment

For example:

($.08/KiloWatt-Hour) * (100 Watts/(1000watts/KiloWatt)) * (24 hours/day *
30 days/month)=$5.76/month

  A 100 watt device, at $.08/KWH would cost $5.76/month to run on electricity.

To figure out the cost of cooling that device, we need to figure out the
BTU output of that device and the efficiency of the AC unit involved in the
cooling process.

BTU output of the device:  If the device is generally 100% electronics (as
machine room equipment usually is), the electrical to heat conversion
efficiency of this device is generally near 100% (other energy output, such
as noise and light are negligible).

The formula to figure out the BTUH output of a device, when the wattage of
the device is known, is:

((Watts *  (3.41 BTUH/Watt) * (unit of time)) / (SEER/EER rating of unit))
* (Price per KWH/(1000 watts/KW)) = cost of electricity to cool the equipment

For example:

((100 Watts *  (3.41 BTUH/Watt) * (24 hours/day * 30 days/month) / ( 10
SEER/EER )) * ($.08 KWH/(1000 watts/KW)) = $1.96/month

A 100 watt device will cost $1.96/month to cool using a 10 SEER/EER A/C
unit in electricity alone.

Thus, the total pure electrical cost to run a 100 watt electronic device
off of street power 24/7 is $7.72/month given $.08/KWH and a 10 SEER
efficiency A/C unit.