[SunRescue] Swapping a system between boxes

Devin L. Ganger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 23:59:35 CDT 2001

So, the SS20 I've been waiting for finally shows up (thanks, Ken!
got here right on time!).

I have a 4/690 with dual processors and 128MB RAM that I have
a hacked copy of Solaris 7 running on.  My wife agreed to let
me buy the SS20 since I promised her it would be used to replace
the 4/690 (which is big, bulky, and eats electricity like nothing
as it does a better job of heating our house than our gas furnace).

Now, in theory, since the 4/690 is a sun4m, as is the SS20, I
was *hoping* that I could shut down the 690, move the drives
and various Sbus cards over to the SS20, and do a boot -r to
find all the new hardware.

Is this going to work, or am I buying myself trouble?  What other
possible gotchas do I need to watch out for?

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
find / -name *base* -exec chown us:us {} \;