[SunRescue] Suburban Wireless Part Deux

mike dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 19:26:11 CDT 2001

I've been looking based on reccomendations received here and readings
elsewhere. Here's my current plan of attack:

My(main) station:

12dBi Omni-directional antenna from:
http://www.pacwireless.com/html/antenna.htm
This is the weakest link in the system I think. It's exspensive and I'm
gonna need more than 12dBi methinks. Can anyone suggest a better
antenna/vendor?
$224

Addtron Access Point:
http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/doc/093818.html
The dumb Addtron site is being fixed so I can't get the manuals. This
should do it I think.
$245

"Client" Sites:

"Far" Sites would get the 24dBi Directional, closer sites the 21 or
19dBi Directional:
http://www.pacwireless.com/html/antenna.htm
I don't know if the far sites would need more(24dBi) of an antenna if
the main site is sooo weak.
$59-$75

Same Addtron access point.

Each installation would have roughly $100 budgeted to cover cost of
coax and connectors. Plus spread around cost of crimper tool which is
exspensive like a bitch. LMR-400 cable and N connectors from:
http://www.timesmicrowave.com/products/commercial/catalog/wireless.htm
Waterproof cable: $.7/ft
Connectors: $40/set

More stuff:
Make sure we can return the antennas if necessary. Access points yes.
If the whole thing failed cable cost would just be eaten by us. General
plan is to mount omni on my roof and set GPS to point exactly to my
antenna, hop in car with stuff and go sit on friends roof with Yagi and
laptop and a couple talkabout radios. Have somebody hold or quick mount
antenna to test bandwidth, try moving it around to see if signal
improves, etc. Mount antenna on something solid on roof, double check
everything then run cable into attic as short as possible to access
point. Get mad 128bit encryption on access point then IPsec the whole
thing and setup routing between the networks with an extra firewall
between the AP and internal networks. Any major holes in plan other
than my total lack of theory behind this? Main obstacle I see here is
friends parents. And trees, the damned trees.

Mike

All cool stuff takes is phat money.

Ooooh, also. I got this http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1227395045 but I ain't got no idea what it
is. It's coming in a couple days hopefully, any of you know?