[SunRescue] Pros and cons of which solaris level to install.....

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 24 12:56:30 CDT 2001

While I am in the installing solaris8 on everything including the kitchen
sink, I was wondering if anyone had any feeling for which of the various
selection options (core, low-end user, high-end user, whole shebang)
was the best to install?   I have two basic needs, 1) a small web/ftp
server for servicing the local network for web pages and for ftp installs
of things like Free/Net/OpenBSD.  I was thinking of using my Classic
for that need.  2) would be a generic learning desktop, and will probably
have everything loaded.  The 1) machine would probably be terminal driven,
and a basic install would do, then add in packages sufficient to compile
and then compile up apache and a few minor mail/news/ftp/web ditties.
If I just load the core install, what kinds of things are needed beyond
that to accomplish the small web/ftp server tasks?  Is there a doc on
the sundocs site that explains what gets loaded at each different level
of install?

Thanks

Bob

(Bill... is there a solaris admin list for dummies like me that I should
subscribe to?)