[SunRescue] Dummy alert --- what exactly is sol8 pkgadd looking for?

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 24 12:11:16 CDT 2001

> There are thre different types of packages. Standard packages are generally
> named with a .pkg or -pkg but they dont have to be, and when unpacked are a
> directory with various files. To install a standard package unpack it then
> do a pkgadd -d to the path you unpackd in not including the name of the
> package itself.
>
> The second type are local packages, usually named .local or -local. To
> install, unpack it and do a pkgadd -d to the full path including the package
> name.
>
> The third type are webstart wizard packaged names .class or -class. These
> are executed and the web install wizard guides you through package setup.

OK, I see that, but what are the ibiblio sunsite packages?  They seem
to be in a xxxxxx.pkg.tgz, which does not make sense, per above.
They untar into a package directory, but can't pkgadd.  Should the
tarball be renamed to just xxxxx.pkg?

I downloaded all the sol8 sparc packages from freeware, and many of them
don't pkgadd.  I detect bad karma, here.

gcc runs out of space on some file system.  I did not catch which, offhand.
teTeX does likewise, but it appears that it is the var file system which
packs it full.

pacman (the smallest at 30k....(:+}}...) installed fine.
bison installed fine.

gmake less and others barf with cpio errors:

   cpio: Bad magic number/header.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening there?

df indicates var turns out to be the trivial file system of the year
at a paltry 20mb.  Probably way to small.....

So much for a stock sol8 install.  It sounds like it is time to trash
the install and do it right the second time around.  So that the dummy
here learns, correctly....(:+{{..., what sort of a target var space
should be allocated in the install whizbangwizard so that it won't
barf the second time around.  It looks like gcc comes out to be
around 30mb in the pkg, and I should probably assume pkgadd is dumb
enough to requre all of that plus some.  That would suggest a var
of around 50mb rather than the stock install default of 20mb.
Would that be reasonable?  While I am planning, does sol8 crashdump
into var, and if so how much extra space does the crashdump take
over ram?

Geesh, why didn't the sol8boyz plan for this in the default install.

Oh, well.

Thanks for any suggestions.....

le dummy, Bob