[SunRescue] Dummy alert --- what exactly is sol8 pkgadd looking for?

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 24 09:36:05 CDT 2001

Bob,

There are thre different types of packages. Standard packages are generally
named with a .pkg or -pkg but they dont have to be, and when unpacked are a
directory with various files. To install a standard package unpack it then
do a pkgadd -d to the path you unpackd in not including the name of the
package itself.

The second type are local packages, usually named .local or -local. To
install, unpack it and do a pkgadd -d to the full path including the package
name.

The third type are webstart wizard packaged names .class or -class. These
are executed and the web install wizard guides you through package setup.

Some packages will have prerequisite files from another packagfe. Depending
on how bright the person putting the package together was the prerequisite
list might just look for the actual file, or it might look for a particular
package name. In the first case if you've installed from source you should
be fine, in the second you will have to install the package, then if you
want install from source. Or you can take the source you installed from and
make a package out of it using the name of the package pkgadd is looking
for.

Chris Byrne