[SunRescue] Look, he is *quite* fond of his little router appliance too!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 24 06:37:31 CDT 2001

Pete,

I could not agree more - 15 minutes and my home network was sharing the DSL
service.

The down side is that since I don't have one "alway up/very important"
machine (linux router), without discipline, I can find myself without a
fully-functional system. The upside is that I can take any machine off the
network without bringing the network down.

I just need to get automatic fail-over to a dial-up connection if the DSL
service drops out - I have an old serial router (4 port hub, NAT router that
has two serial ports on the back - can be configured for dial-in, out or
both...) but I can't figure out the automatic part.

I can manually set the Cable/DSL router to use an internal address as the
gateway when the link drops, but I yearn for an automatic solution.

Ken