[SunRescue] PowerMac 7600 questions

Eric Ozrelic rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 22 14:33:56 CDT 2001

A Sony Trinitron Flat CRT paired with a Matrox G400 Max, and a really nice
HD15 to BNC cable produces the best picture quality. I've tried combinations
of cheaper video cards that supported the same resolution and refresh rates
but they produced inferior results at higher resolutions. Mostly because the
OEM's in an order to save money use crappy filters, or less filters, and
cheaper DAC's.

I've also tried the cables that come with the monitor, and a few other
cables which produced inferior results. My thought is that just like the
lower cat rating on a 4 pair cable, that monitor cables can only carry a
certain frequency ranges stably. That's why a big fat BNC cable will do
better then an 'el cheapo HD15 to HD15.

The monitor always makes a difference too. Invar shadow mask monitors blow.
Aperture grill is the only way to go. I've had excellent experiences with
Sony (too pricey though), IIYAMA, and some high end Viewsonic.

Regards,

Eric Ozrelic
Computer/Network Consultant

1532 NW West Hills Ave