[SunRescue] PowerMac 7600 questions

Jeff Borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Apr 21 15:15:08 CDT 2001

Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> I miss my last job with a 21" monitor at 1600x1200 at 32-bit color.
> Scary thing was, windows was always fuzzy so I dropped it to
> 1280x1024, but linux (XFree86) was always nice and sharp.

Could be linux was using a lower refresh rate.

One strange thing I found when trying to get my monitor sharper, is that
lower refresh rates would be sharper than higher ones.

Both refresh rates were in spec BTW. 88Hz vs. 75Hz.

My theory is that the beam is on any one pixel longer with lower refresh
rates. And has more time to go from full on (white) to full off (black). I
seemed to have less of a halo effect when I was at the lower refresh.

I was testing all kinds of stuff at the time. I wish I had written it down.

YMMV I don't know relatively little about monitors. These were just my
observations.

--jeff