[SunRescue] RE: Why I am *quite* fond of my Linksys router...

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Apr 21 07:34:28 CDT 2001

Sebastian Marius Kirsch <skirsch at moebius.inka.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 03:10:47PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
>
> > Those little router appliances handle PPPoE easily - I can frequently
> > download 55-63KB/sec (bytes, not bits) over my Linksys router box to
> > my wired and wireless clients in my house (802.11b *is* great!)
>
> Yeah, but I don't *want* to use one of those little router
> appliances. ;-) I'd far rather have a suitable box to route this stuff
> (and will probably have one soon.) Let's face it, a suitable
> SPARC(station|server) is about infinitely more sexy than some `router
> appliance'. And that's what we're all after, isn't it?

As far as I'm concerned, something that 'just works' is preferable,
especially if it takes away the headaches of talking the telco's evil
tongue.  I do, of course, have a nice little off-white box between it
and the rest of my network anyway.

The DSL router I've been provided with has great blinkenlights too, which
is nice :-)

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

       Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our latest and greatest
         operating system which we couldn't be arsed to complete